Thursday, September 20, 2007

Parenting. The Magazine.

Where to start with the free copy we received in the mail. How about with the top of the front cover - "What matters to moms."

Last time I checked, "parenting" includes fathers. And, despite the best efforts of certain men to the contrary, "parenting" matters to dads, too.

Let's be honest, Parenting Magazine, you're just a shill for Disney, Pampers and Pantene. Half the articles are about "your beauty update," which I'm pretty sure does not apply to me, and the other half are condescending and degrading to women even as they attempt to pander to them.

SuperWife looks just as beautiful now in her eighth month of pregnancy as she ever has, and you're pushing beauty products on her? No wonder women in this country have body-image issues. Shut up and leave my wife and daughter alone.

And apparently, the new girls' night out includes "knitting" and "cooking" (emphasis in original). Are you fucking kidding me? Knitting and cooking? Did it somehow become 1950 while I wasn't looking?

Not to mention that every time I look at the rag, all I can think about are all the poor kids whose stage moms and dads have decided they want to cash in on their kids semi-cute looks before they get ugly and resentful.

(Given that this is my first rant against the Baby Industrial Complex's anti-dad bias, I think I've now officially joined the ranks of the angry dad bloggers.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

perhaps you should have invested in an anger management class instead of one on baby care.