Thursday, April 17, 2008

Swaddling, redux.

Dear Anonymous (if that is indeed your name - not Miracle Blanket Corporation),

Who knew that swaddling would generate such a response? In fact, I didn't think two people who aren't Auntie A even read this.

Anyway, since I have been twice chastised, I will respond. It's not that I'm anti-swaddling generally, or that I think she'll go to college with a swaddle, or that I think there is permanent harm being done. I'm not a cry-it-outer. I want the little gal to sleep.

So, why the swaddle-debacle?

First (to the doula), she's a week away from six months old, not four months old. So Number One is getting pretty good with her hands. She's got some skills. But when she's all wrapped up she can't put her hand in her mouth or pick up her pacifier or do of the other things she's capable of doing to soothe herself. She just has to lay there and rely on Mom and Papa to give her the pacifier when it falls out of her mouth.

Second, if she wakes up before we do, she can't hang out in her crib and grab her feet or move around and be content because she's all wrapped up.

Finally, it seems like she hates getting wrapped up sometimes, so I want to unwrap her. It's because I think it will make things better - not worse. (Mom disagrees on this point, and I freely admit I could be wrong, here).

So don't be a hater, Anonymous. I'm just trying to keep the kid happy.

But failing apparently...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry if you thought I was chastising. I re-read my comments and can see how you may have had that impression. Typed messages lose so much in the tone department. Really: I'm sorry you took it that way. My name isn't Anonymous, it's Donna Honniball. I just didn't want to take the time to sign up for an account just to post a comment, so it showed up as Anonymous.

The reason I found your blog is because it popped up on one of my Google Alerts - as a doula, I try to stay on top of things, and one way to do that is with Google Alerts. Yours came up from the swaddling keyword.

You hadn't mentioned in the post (I'm sure your regular readers know it, but I just came across the one post) that your baby is almost 6 months old. That being the case, I'll change what I said. I was assuming that since your wife was still wanting to use the swaddler that the baby was still younger than the maximum age they print on the package.

Different people have different opinions, but I don't think it's a good idea to swaddle after a baby is able to roll over on their own. The reason is that if they mange to roll while their still swaddled then they could end up face-down and swaddled. Face-down swaddling increases the risk of SIDS by about 1200%. So, taking the chance of your baby rolling over while your asleep and getting into such a dangerous situation is probably not a good idea.

(Actually, I called the Miracle Blanket people once and asked why they say you shouldn't use their blanket after 14 weeks, and they told me all the stuff above. It made sense and totally convinced me. Talking to other doulas, they tend to agree usually.)

So I'm on your side now.

(And seriously - even when I was on your wife's side, I meant nothing negative.)

Anonymous said...

Wow, go away from two days and look what I missed! I am totally feeling your pain on this subject. Until about 2 weeks ago girl cousin was such a dream to put to sleep. But now, not so much. Uncle Deezie equated this turmoil she is experiencing to puberty, when your hormones are all whack and you don't know what is going on with your body. I think the girls like sleeping with their swaddles because it is familiar, but hate the swaddle because it is confining. (Really, the same reason they love it.) I don't have any advice because we are going through the same hell. Sometimes I try to sneak in and loosen up the blanket, but ours has the velcro. I really hope this little issue ends itself soon. I was looking forward to what boy cousin's mom said about this, "One day he just didn't want it anymore." Not so much.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Brewmaster said...

Donna,

No offense taken, really. I just try to keep it light and snarky around here.

In any event, if you have any advice on transitioning from the Miracle Blanket to no-swaddle, we'd sure appreciate it. She's turning over both ways now, so we do have concerns based on you comments.

You can email me at d.alan.lindsey@gmail.com if you would care to provide some assitance. Thanks!

And thanks for reading.

The Whistler's said...

I hear congrats are in order- number 1 slept all night last night without the swaddle!! GO LITTLE K!!!